Garrison..

The_Spaniard1876

Okay, so in my need to not be on WoW during the initial push from 90.  I missed all the garrison learning and hype.  What's the best place to read up on garrisons and plan out what I need to do with mine.  I have 3 or 4 empty locations (1 med, rest are small), that are burning a hole in my pocket!

You Unlock this in Spires of Arak, Salvage Yard one of the best buildings. Inn helps in recruiting followers, Trading post is good for additional factions to raise rep with, plus you can unlock an AH for your Garrison.

haha...@asmith19323

I've always been an MMO guy too.

Just didn't bother talkin' much about it before because no one else would own up to it.

I can still talk cyclic rates and rounds down range...

but I can speak tauren feral druid dps too. 

and a bit of orc too...

Lok'tar ogar

You can level professions from 1 to 700 in your garrison. It will take WoD mats and may take a little bit of time, but there is no point to go back into the old expansion areas to level. I believe its the same with gathering professions (i havent leveled a gathering profession this expansion). Once you learn your professions, if you dont have them, you can get the book to drop to learn up to 700. I would recommend getting your profession buildings and then the salvage yard. You want the professions asap so you can start getting your daily mats. 

As for a guide of some kind, Wow head has pretty detailed guides with what you should pick in each sub building for the zones, what makes best sense building wise, what followers come from where, etc

I personally prefer:

Salvage Yard

Inn

Barracks

Storehouse

Trading Post

This is why he prefers them:

Salvage Yard - Pretty much mandatory.  You get items for completing garrison missions.  The items are great, but mostly important because they give you a LOT of follower upgrade items.  Your followers start at ilvl 600 and you need to up all of them (20 or 25 depending on your buildings) to lvl 675.  It's gonna take a while even with a salvage yard but a salvage yard makes it bearable.

Inn - Lets you recruit followers once a week.  You also get a daily dungeon quest which is also nice.  When you recruit followers, you can recruit followers that ONLY have certain things you're looking for.  Need a follower to counter an ability?  Inn's your spot.  We end up mostly using the inn for recruiting followers that  have rare abilities such as "Epic mount" (Halves mission completion time and stacks) or the resource gain abilities (Like how Mastric was able to get 4000g from one mission)

Barracks - A double threat!  Firstly, it ups the number of followers you can have active at once from 20 to 25.  This alone is great.  It also lets you use one of your followers with the "Bodyguard" ability to tag along with you and be a companion while you quest or whatever.  There are several different bodyguards you can use.  Playing a tank class?  Pick a DPS bodyguard and they do surprisingly good damage.  Playing a ranged dps?  Pick a tank bodyguard to keep things away from you!  Etc.

Storehouse - There's not too many good Small building options so this one is just convenient.  This let you have a bank, guild bank, transmog and void storage access all in your base.

Trading Post - Lets you trade one resource for another which helps for gathering professions but more importantly, it lets you trade in resources for garrison resources (Via work orders).  This is a GREAT way to get Garrison resources quickly.

One that bash didn't mention but should be on the list:

War Mill - Lets you trade in iron horde war scraps for follower upgrade items as a daily quest (Which you'll need) as well as use garrison resources for creating follower upgrade items.

Check out this guide:  http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/garrison-complete-guide

I think that WoD is thus far the best expansion yet.  A lot of the guys who played during BC have extremely fond memories of it because it was such an improvement over vanilla WoW but WoD added the best and most new content yet.